North Cumbria Orchard Group

for a fruitful Cumbria

Fruit trees wanted

Use this forum for any discussion relating to orchards, fruit, juice, cider etc.

Fruit trees wanted

Postby Glingerburner » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:18 pm

We are planting a Diamond Jubilee Orchard in an unused paddock and want to buy as many different suitable varieties of apples, pears, plums, gages, damson and nuts as possible. I have bought about 30 varieties of Apple so far- all on the NCOG database of varieties. I also have Victoria and Opal Plum, a Golden Gage and Vranja quince. There is plenty of space so M25 and M106 rootstocks are most welcome. We have about 0.3 ha available. You may have some surplus from last year's grafting workshops or know of a good supplier who is reasonably priced- I have found Adam's Apples to be the most reasonable , followed by RV Roger who are about twice the price. Most other suppliers seem to be much more expensive.

I hope you can help

Richard
Glingerburner
NCOG member

Re: Fruit trees wanted

Postby MarkEvens » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:38 pm

Hello Richard. I have brought your request to the attention of committee members who may be able to help. In particular, I think Niall Wildwoode may have some (email moondawnfarm@hotmail.co.uk ). I have one Sunset spare. You could always join the group and graft your own on March 17th - they won't be ready to plant out until next winter, though. Also, members get a discount from RV Roger.
Mark Evens
MarkEvens
Committee member

Postby Glingerburner » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:43 am

Thanks Mark. My applcation to join the group is in the post and I would certainly like to attend the grafting session on March 17th. I have already ordered Sunset, but will wait to see what it looks like before turning down your offer!
Richard
Glingerburner
NCOG member

Postby MarkEvens » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:55 am

Also the South Lakes Orchard Group have local varieties for sale - see http://www.slorchards.co.uk/TreesForSale.html
NCOG members may also have a few unidentified (local) varieties available at a keen price.
It is a good plan to plant over a number of years rather than all in one go (advice I did not heed myself!). That way you get a better idea of how trees cope with local conditions and also how much work is required. Note that with 120 trees, a 5 minute job takes 10 hours!
Mark
MarkEvens
Committee member

Return to Orchard talk