North Cumbria Orchard Group

for a fruitful Cumbria

management after grafting

Use this forum for any discussion relating to orchards, fruit, juice, cider etc.

management after grafting

Postby Johns » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:57 pm

I am very new to this area of gardening. I managed to get 4/4 grafts to take after the afternoon session held recently, Problem-one graft has produced flowers from every bud. I could find no info in library nor on web. I have removed all flowers. Is there anything else that I should do??
Johns
NCOG member

Re: management after grafting

Postby chris braithwaite » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:02 pm

Hello,
Yes a number of our grafts have made flowers as well, this can also happen with cuttings which flower before thay can strike roots.
The reason is, I think, that having removed the scion from its own roots, an imbalance of nutriants is set up (too little nitrogen) which triggers flowering. This is one reason why we try to take scion (and cutting) material from vigorously growing young wood in the hope that there will be less inclination to make flowers.
The solution is to remove the flower buds as soon as you can and wait for it to make leaves instead. It is a good sign in some ways - proving that the scion is alive and that there is contact with the rootstock but leaves would be better! 
Chris

chris braithwaite
Committee member

Re: management after grafting

Postby Johns » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:08 pm

Thanks-there are also leaves, so hopefully it will eventually form a tree. Learning from experience.
JohnS
Johns
NCOG member

Return to Orchard talk